This was the last blog I had hoped to finish before we departed for Alaska! Well...we are already in Alaska. But this blog will wrap up our time in Arkansas in May. There were things that needed to be done.
 |
| There was spring weeding and house power washing to do on the outside. |
Our neighbors Jim and Val were glad to see us when we returned from our eastern trip. They first welcomed us and then asked when we would be leaving for our next adventure. Guess they know us. What that means is, if you are planning to come see us, make sure we will be there!
 |
| We purchased a "Cartwright" name sign to hang over the main bedroom door. |
I finally got around to framing and hanging some prints that I had been storing. I purchased them in 2008, but my connection to the artist, DeGrazia, went back to when I was a serving as a USAF officer in 1972. At that time, I met him in his studio in Tucson, AZ. I was intrigued by his paintings of the Indian natives who live in the dry desert areas of the southwest. Originally I was fascinated by his paintings of round-faced, dark-eyed children and western landscapes. It was only later after retirement that I went back and acquired a few prints. They had been rolled up in a tube and I rediscovered them while making room for Daisy's storage items.
 |
| We hung the DeGrazia prints over the door to the deck. |
 |
| The Superstition Mountains |
 |
| Racing the Wind |
 |
| Alone |
I am looking forward to the times when many of you are able to come and visit us when we are at our house near Eureka Springs. One of our favorite pastimes is taking pictures from the back deck of the house. The scene is ever changing so I hope that you can tolerate seeing the many moods of sky, land, and water from this one camera point.
 |
| This lovely picture is the view from our deck. Pleasant, isn't it? And no hammer was needed to hang this work of art. |
We have several close friends with whom we spend much of our time when we are based at the house. Some of them also have come to know that winter in Texas is a lot nicer than winter in the Ozark mountains.
First there is Carol.
 |
| Carol and I love to do the traditional hymns. |
 |
| We frequent her table often. |
 |
| Carol is the best pie maker. |
 |
| Rhubarb/strawberry pie ala mode |
Then there are other winter Texans from Holiday Island...
 |
| Our Alaskan travel brain trust: Darlene, Skip, Mary, and Rick |
A back porch with friends and libations and free advice is hard to beat!
OK, here is another of the back deck photos on the next evening.
 |
| Sorry if the repetition bothers you, but I love sunsets. |
We do take mini trips while in Arkansas.
Our location is close to Daisy's family in Kansas and Missouri. So when we can participate in family activities, we do. This time our excuse was a presentation by the Kansas City Chorale. Daisy's nephew, Frank, and his wife, Lindsey, are members of the Chorale.
 |
| Daisy with her brother and sister and some of their family members before the concert |
The Chorale is a professional a cappella vocal ensemble that performs music from diverse historical periods. They have received several Grammy nominations and awards. We went to hear a concert that focused on hymns from the the liturgical services of the Russian Orthodox Church. They were composed by Sergei Rachmaninoff. As you might expect, the music was performed in Russian, and we had programs that provided the translations. As I followed along, it was very easy to be captured by the spirit of the music and to be moved by it.
Inside and outside view of the performance worship hall in a local church.
 |
| Nephew Frank was the lead soloist. |
 |
| The Kansas City Chorale |
 |
| Frank's wife Lindsey and her family |
Alliluiya, alliluiya, alliluiya! Slava, Tebe, Bozhe!
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia! Glory to thee, O God!
 |
| Poached eggs served on thick ham with hollandaise sauce. | | | |
|
|
|
Of course we had to go out for breakfast at a biscuit specialty restaurant.
Then there were birthdays and other celebrations to recognize while there.
 |
| We celebrated Laura's birthday and B.S.N. graduation. |
 |
| Did I tell you that the family has an addiction to red velvet cake? |
As with any celebration, food was involved.
 |
| Of course we had to go out and eat again. Oriental this time. |
We did not take the truck camper but rather stayed in Don and Maggie's house. They have extra bedrooms now that the kids are out and on their own. Don has a beautiful garden/yard that he spends extra time in cultivating.
 |
| Brother Don loves to garden |
 |
| Pretty daises can be found here... |
 |
| and here. |
Here is one for all you animal lovers out there. Introducing Prance the cat. He thinks the yard belongs to him.
 |
| Peonies |
 |
| Iris |
Meanwhile back in Arkansas...
Then there is my low maintenance, rock featured, ground
cover landscape. Don has offered to give me lots of beautiful flowers
to spruce up my lot and give it curb appeal...
 |
| So I chose to adorn our lot with the stars and stripes. |
...our chosen lifestyle says not at this time.
I get my beauty with views like this sunset on another evening.
 |
| OK, one last photo from the deck...a boat heading to the marina at dusk. |
That's a wrap...
The truck camper was packed and ready to begin another adventure in our still newly married life.
Get ready for the northern journey to Alaska!
 |
| Life is out there to be found. Just look around the corner and go! |
No comments:
Post a Comment